Memorable Manitobans: George Andrew (1851-1929)
Born near Guelph, Ontario on 9 October 1851, he apprenticed as a watch maker at Guelph before moving to Winnipeg in 1874. He worked in the Donaldson stationery and jewelry store until setting up his own business a year later, which he operated for the remainder of his career.
On 3 March 1875, he married Susan Saunders (1853-1932) of Roscrae, Ireland at Winnipeg. They had five children: Charles Norman Andrew (b 1877), William J. Andrew (1879-1905), Myrtle Cora Andrew (1881-1979), Harold Clifford Andrew (1885-1961), and Earl Talbot Andrew (1886-1968). He built a home “out on the prairie” in 1882, where he lived for many years, now situated at 631 Westminster Avenue, Winnipeg. He installed the first private telephone in Winnipeg in his home. A keen sportsman, he was friends with fellow hunters Joe Lemon and Fred T. Cadham. He was a brother-in-law of Thomas Chapman.
He died at Winnipeg on 16 March 1929 and was buried in Brookside Cemetery.
A History of Manitoba: Its Resources and People by Prof. George Bryce, Toronto: The Canadian History Company, 1906.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Pioneer jeweller of city dies, aged 77”, Manitoba Free Press, 18 March 1929. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B8]
“Geo. Andrew’s death severs a link with past”, Winnipeg Tribune, 18 March 1929. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B8]
We thank Pat Chandler for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 October 2012