Memorable Manitobans: Edward Albert Anderson (1864-1942)
Born at Roden Place, Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland in 1864, son of policeman Louis John Anderson and Frances Ann Branker, he was educated at Trinity College (Dublin), receiving a BA degree in 1886. He came to Canada the next year and taught privately for seven years, later serving as English and Classical Master at the Smiths Falls Collegiate. He studied Theology at Trinity College in Toronto and was ordained Deacon. He performed missionary work in the Mattawa District for some years and led six congregations, as Curate of St. John’s (Smiths Falls) under Canon Nesbitt, Rector of Vankleek Hill (Ontario) five years, Diocesan Agent at Ottawa, and Rector of St. Matthew’s (Ottawa) from 1908 to 1917.
He came to Brandon in 1917 and served as a member of the Provincial and General Synods, Examining Chaplain to his Lordship, the Bishop of Ottawa, and Examining Chaplain with Dean Matheson to His Lordship, the Bishop of Brandon.
He and wife Catherine A. French had three sons and two daughters.
He retired to Ottawa, Ontario in 1939and died there on 1 March 1942.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“Archdeacon Anderson dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 March 1942, page 10.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2021