Historic Sites of Manitoba: Women’s Tribute Memorial Lodge (200 Woodlawn Street, Winnipeg)
Located at the northwest corner of Portage Avenue and Woodlawn Street in Winnipeg, this two-storey brick and Tyndall stone building was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers and built by the Claydon Construction Company at a cost of about $32,000 using funds raised by Manitoba women. The main floor originally contained a billiard hall, club rooms, office space, and kitchen/washroom facilities while the second floor held an auditorium. The Women’s Tribute Memorial Lodge was intended as a lasting tribute to the province’s veterans of the First World War.
“Women’s Tribute Memorial Lodge,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 June 1931, page 19.
“Women’s Tribute to Deer Lodge Hospital,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 June 1931, page 26.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Women’s Tribute Memorial Lodge, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Women's Tribune Memorial Lodge, 200 Woodlawn Street, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 5 February 1987.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 26 April 2023