A one-storey wood frame and stucco building on Government Road in Wawanesa was designed by Winnipeg architect John Hamilton Gordon Russell and built in 1924 to house local circuitry for the Manitoba Telephone System. Originally located on Fourth Street, it was used by the company until 1973 when a new building was constructed beside it and the original building was moved here. It was gone at the time of a 2023 site visit.
The former Wawanesa Telephone Exchange Building (November 2004)
Source: Ken Jacobs
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.59104, W99.67706
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)
MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS
Seventeenth Annual Report of the Manitoba Government Telephones, 1924. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
Sipiweske: Light Through the Trees by Wawanesa & District History Book Committee, 1988, page 33.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk, Ken Jacobs, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 April 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!