Historic Sites of Manitoba: Waubeesh Town Site (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
The community of Waubeesh, located south of Whitewater Lake in what would become the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton, thrived while Turtle Mountain City less than a mile to the south waned. Established by Dutch settler John Albertus Brondgeest (1845-1887), as of 1884 Waubeesh was a main commercial centre in this region, along with Old Deloraine. When the Canadian Pacific Railway arrived less than two years later, it ran one and a half mile to the north of Waubeesh and doomed the nascent village and created instead the village of Whitewater.
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
“History corrected,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 August 2007, page 12.
Waubeesh, Turtle Mountain - Souris Plains Heritage Association.
We thank Dana Armitage for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2017
Back to top of page