Designed in 1899 by local architect George Browne, a 120 foot by 70 foot three-storey brick structure was constructed during 1900 and opened for lectures in January 1901. Known as the Broadway campus of the university, the building was situated near the north end of the site, near the York Avenue end, but facing south. Expanded through the years to accommodate a growing student body, the complex was demolished in 1962 as operations moved to the Fort Garry Campus. The site is now a public park. The cornerstone from the building is now embedded in an exterior wall of the Armes Building at the University’s campus in Fort Garry.
The first University building, completed in 1900-1901, on the Broadway site (no date)
Source: University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, PC80:312:11.
Building additions under construction with the original University building at right and Wesley College (now Wesley Hall, University of Winnipeg) in the background, just right of centre (1920)
Source: Western Canada Pictorial Index, A1291-38660.
University of Manitoba building (1957)
Source: John H. Warkentin, John Warkentin Fonds, 2009-029/003, ASC16575, York University
University of Manitoba building at left with the Hudson’s Bay Company store in the background (March 1960)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7451, Album 15, Page 13.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88706, W97.14910
denoted by symbol on the map above
Science Comes to Manitoba by Harry W. Duckworth and Gordon Goldsborough
Manitoba History, Number 47, Spring/Summer 2004
The Broadway Site of the University of Manitoba: Origins and Demise by Richard A. Johnson
Manitoba History, Number 51, February 2006
MHS Centennial Organization: University of Manitoba
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba, Fort Garry Campus (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Memorial Park (Memorial Boulevard, Winnipeg)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 July 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.