Historic Sites of Manitoba: Turnbull Bend School No. 2339 (261 Turnbull Drive, Winnipeg)
The Turnbull Bend School District was established in January 1952 and a one-room schoolhouse was built on Lots 76-79 in the Parish of St. Norbert, at a cost of around $12,000. Named for businessman Thomas Turnbull, it opened on 31 January 1953 by the Minister of Education W. C. Miller. Early class sizes were 20 to 30 students, lead by a single teacher. In January 1959, the district was reorganized into the Fort Garry Municipal School Division No. 2361 and the school closed in 1963. The building was probably demolished during construction of a nearby control structure for the Red River Floodway.
Among the teachers of Turnbull Bend School were Julia Sladek (1953-?) and Hazel J. Saunders (?-1963).
Photos & Maps
[Photo caption, Turnbull Bend School], Winnipeg Free Press, 2 February 1953, page 3.
“$2 million in new schools help house city’s pupils,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 August 1955, page 3.
“Turnbull Bend School District 2339,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 June 1955, page 36.
St. Adolphe East topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 2 ASE, 1958, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Henderson’s Winnipeg Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Page revised: 8 January 2015