This three-storey brick block on Furby Street in Winnipeg, measuring 74 feet by 121 feet, was designed and built in 1926 by brothers Hannes Pétursson, Olafur Pétursson, and Rögnvaldur Pétursson at a cost of about $100,000. The building contained 36 apartments in its original configuration.
Memorable Manitobans: Hannes Pétursson (1881-1961)
Memorable Manitobans: Olafur Pétursson (1879-1952)
Memorable Manitobans: Rögnvaldur Pétursson (1877-1940)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 436/1926, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Early Icelandic builders in Winnipeg” by S. Aleck Thorarinson, Logberg-Heimskringla, 30 March 1967, page 7.
Find a Postal Code, CanadaPost.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.
Page revised: 27 March 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.