Built around 1904 along Dufferin Avenue in Winnipeg, under the authority of Bishop Seraphim, this haphazard-looking building was the first independent Ukrainian church in North America. It was later destroyed by vandals. It was the setting for the 2011 play Tin Can Cathedral by playwright Nick Mitchell.
Postcard of the “Greek Tabernacle” (no date)
Source: Rob McInnes, WP0305
Approximate Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90924, W97.13556
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Stefan Ustvolsky “Bishop Seraphim” (?-?)
Tin Can Cathedral, Winnipeg Building Index.
We thank Rob McInnes and Andrew Cunningham for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 March 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.