Historic Sites of Manitoba: Three Sisters School No. 1747 (RM of Armstrong)
In May 1914, Three Sisters School began operation as Fish Lake School, located at NE24-20-1W in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong. In April 1947, the building was moved to its present location, southeast of Narcisse along highway 231, and renamed Three Sisters in commemoration of triplet girls born to local residents, the Marchuk family, that same month. The school closed in 1967 and the building was later purchased by Jeanette Marchuk, one of the triplet sisters. Attendance and other records for the school are held at the Chatfield Park of Souvenirs Museum.
Among the teachers who worked at Three Sisters School were Constance Jean Crowe (1946-1947), Wilma Joreen Gibson (1947-1948), Margaret Natalie Zuk (1948-1949), Savelia Prystupa (1949-1950), Anne Dorothy Kohler (Fall 1950), Dennis Eli Alfred Mayfair (Spring 1951), Bernice Adele Sabanski (Fall 1951), William John Eastrott (Spring 1952), Olivier B. Muloin (1952-1953), Edward Hryciw (1953-1954), Irene Palowich (1954-1955), William Stepaniuk (1957-1958), Joseph Gula (1959-1961), Tony Chikowski (?-?), Edward Firman (?-?), and Mrs. Emil Skrabic (1964-1965).
“Triplets, all girls, born in Teulon,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1947, page 29.
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Wildnerness to Wildlife: Chatfield and District History, Chatfield Oldtimers Club, Selkirk, 1981, pages 17, 23.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Three Sisters School District No. 1747 - Daily Register, GR11220 , Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 16 November 2019