Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 2
Prairie
History

No. 2

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Theobald School No. 1415 (RM of Lorne)

The Theobald School District was founded in 1879 through the the actions of Father Theobald Bitsche, parish priest of St. Leon, Manitoba. Named for him, a one-room wood frame school operated as of 1889 on the northwest quarter of 9-5-9 west of the Principal Meridian (on two acres of land donated by Edouard Labossiere) in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. A new schoolhouse erected in 1918 was used continuously until 1959, when it closed and henceforth students in the area went to St. Leon Village Consolidated School No. 1425 or Richard Consolidated School No. 1092. The former school building was moved to a museum in St. Leon but a monument, dedicated on 15 August 2004, commemorates it at the original site.

The second Theobald School building

The second Theobald School building (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 113.

The former Theobald School building, now located at the St. Leon Interpretive Centre

The former Theobald School building, now located at the St. Leon Interpretive Centre (October 2013)
Source: Alan Mason

Theobald School commemorative monument, at the base of which are crosses commemorating three murder victims in the Labossiere family who formerly lived nearby

Theobald School commemorative monument, at the base of which are crosses commemorating three murder victims in the Labossiere family who formerly lived nearby (October 2013)
Source: Alan Mason

Site Location (lat/long): N49.38301, W98.63588
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 November 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.