Initially located at Lower Fort Garry, a provincial penitentiary was established here, on a natural hill in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, in 1877. The structure was built by contractor James Barclay.
Photos & Coordinates
Postcard view of the Stony Mountain Penitentiary, circa 1909. The building at centre-right contained prison cells, the workshop were nearer the road, and the warden’s house was in the background.
Source: Andrew Cunningham
Stony Mountain Penitentiary (December 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.08229, W97.22663
denoted by symbol on the map above
“Mrs. James Stirton, who came west in ’75, marks 80th birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 January 1938, page 2.
“Ex-warden at Stony dies in B.C.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 May 1969.
We thank Andrew Cunningham for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.