Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery (Ozerna, Municipality of Harrison Park)

Ukrainian settlers began arriving in this area, in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park, in 1899. Teacher Michael Onofreyo of Jackfish Lake School suggested they name the district Ozerna, meaning “lakes” in Ukrainian, due to the abundance of small lakes in the vicinity. The first church service was held in 1902, conducted by Rev. A. Delaere in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Prosken, southwest of the present church. The Proskens also donated a three-acre site for a church and cemetery. Here, in 1902, the first church was built of logs under Delaere’s guidance. A larger church was constructed in 1933 by builder Sefron Snihurovich of Winnipeg.  A plaque on the church grounds was erected in 1999, on the 95th anniversary of the church’s founding and the centennial of Ukrainian settlement in the area. There is also a cemetery on the grounds. The building is a municipally designated historic site as of 1998.

St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church

St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church (August 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church

Interior of St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church (October 2017)
Source: George Penner

St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery

St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery (October 2017)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.46782, W100.09524
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.

Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Winnipeg Archeparchy by Anna Maria Kowcz-Baran, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1991.

St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church (SE24-17-20W, Sandy Lake area), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.

Page revised: 2 February 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.