Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. George’s Anglican Church (168 Wilton Street, Winnipeg)
In 1916, an Anglican Church at the southwest corner of Grosvenor Avenue and Wilton Street in Winnipeg was designed by architect John Danley Atchison and constructed by the Sutherland Construction Company as a mission of the St. George’s Anglican Church in downtown Winnipeg. It was demolished in 1957 to make way for the present modernist building that was designed by architects G. Leslie Russell and David F. Thordarson from the firm of Green Blankstein Russell and Associates, and built between 1957 and 1958. It features a 132-foot bell tower and a large stained glass window by Leo Mol.
Photos & Coordinates
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 539/1916, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Anglicans’ new church ready,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 September 1916, page 23.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
About Us, St. George’s Anglican Church.
We thank Robert Thomas and Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 November 2022