Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shaughnessy United Church (1493 Magnus Avenue, Winnipeg)
This United church at the corner of Magnus Avenue and Railway Street in Winnipeg, was designed by architect Dwight Rupert Johnston and built between October 1963 and April 1964 at a cost of about $75,000. Its congregation had started around 1948 and regular Sunday services began in 1950 in a local community club under the guidance of Robertson Memorial United Church. It became a self-supporting church in 1963.
The church closed in June 2005. Files of the former church are held at the United Church of Canada Archives.
Photos & Coordinates
“Church leaders at opening of Shaughnessy,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 April 1964, page 41.
Shaughnessy United Church fonds, United Church of Canada Archives.
Shaughnessy United Church, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
Page revised: 1 May 2023