Historic Sites of Manitoba: West Kildonan Collegiate / Seven Oaks Middle School (800 Salter Street, Winnipeg)
A building on the west side of Salter between and Perth Avenue and St. Anthony Avenue was the original home of West Kildonan Collegiate (WKCI). The one-storey, brick veneer structure was designed by the architecture firm of Prain and Ward and built in 1953 at a cost of $225,000. It housed nine classrooms. The building featured such educational innovations as slanting green boards in place of older-styled blackboards, movable desks, and home economics and shops facilities.
The building was expanded several times, beginning in 1954 (six classrooms) and 1957 (four more classrooms and shops facilities). In 1997, continual enrollment growth necessitated the relocation of the WKCI to 1874 Main Street (and later its present location) and this former collegiate building became Seven Oaks Middle School / Ecole Seven Oaks Middle School.
Photos & Coordinates
“Getting winter-ready,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 September 2006, page 4.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 July 2019