This one-storey brick building on St. Matthews Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 30 feet by 80 feet, was constructed in 1929 for Safeway Stores by the firm of Fraser and MacDonald at a cost of about $12,000. The building, with a relatively unmodified exterior from its original appearance, was still in use as a grocery store at the time of a 2020 site visit.
Former Safeway store on St. Matthews Avenue in Winnipeg (February 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89001, W97.16535
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Fraser and MacDonald
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2986/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 March 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.