This one-storey brick building on Osborne Street in Winnipeg was constructed in 1929 by contractor William James Lailey as a grocery store for Piggly Wiggly Canadian Limited. It opened officially on 6 July 1929. The building was taken over by Safeway Stores in the late 1930s and was occupied by a bookstore at the time of a 2020 site visit. Its exterior is extensively modified from its original appearance.
Former Safeway store on Osborne Street in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.86217, W97.13168
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: William James Lailey (1879-1951)
Manitoba Business: Piggly Wiggly Canadian Limited
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
“Piggly Wiggly 3 more stores for Winnipeg,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 July 1929, page 5.
“Piggly Wiggly company opens store no. 20,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 October 1929, page 29.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 November 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.