This one-storey brick building on Henderson Highway in Winnipeg, measuring 36 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929 by Fraser and Macdonald as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited. The store opened officially on 7 December 1929.
The building was occupied by a bicycle shop at the time of a 2020 site visit. Its exterior is extensively modified from its original appearance.
Former Safeway store on Henderson Highway in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91402, W97.11466
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Northwood and Chivers / Northwood Chivers and Casey
Manitoba Business: Fraser and MacDonald
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 5172/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
“Safeway Stores [advertisement],” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 December 1929, page 4.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.