Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rose Farm School No. 1577 (RM of Morris)
The first school in this vicinity opened in 1897, in a 24 by 30-foot building in the Rural Municipality of Morris. The Rose Farm School District was formally established in August 1911 and, the following year, the building was moved to the northwest corner of SW9-4-2W where it was used as a teacherage and a new school was built. It was replaced by a more modern building in 1950. High school classes were offered in its basement for seven years. In 1965, the school closed and its catchment area became part of the Kane Consolidated School District No. 2006 and later the Morris-Macdonald School Division. The former school building is no longer present at the site but some of its concrete foundation remains, along with a commemorative sign.
Among the teachers of Rose Farm School was William Born.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Aerial photograph A11637-53 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank the Rural Municipality of Morris, Mariette Allen, Kim Robert, Don Brown, and Marie Dueck for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 October 2018
Back to top of page