Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brookside Quarantine Hospital (Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Photos & Coordinates | Sources

As early as 1902, the building of a new quarantine hospital in Winnipeg, for the isolation of those with such communicable diseases as smallpox, was discussed but an existing 15-year-old quarantine facility on Logan Avenue was deemed sufficient. By 1906, however, the city government had decided to move ahead so it commissioned local architect Charles Henry Wheeler to design the new hospital.

A site in the northwest corner of Brookside Cemetery was chosen. The curious location was based, it was said, on concerns for safety by citizens of other city neighbourhoods, with an unnamed city alderman recorded as saying that the presence of a hospital inside a cemetery “would offend no local prejudices.” Initial plans called for the facility to be called “City Hospital”, but “Quarantine Hospital” was chosen instead, possibly to distinguish it from other Winnipeg municipal hospitals and the Winnipeg General Hospital.

Construction tenders were called for around April 1906 and contractor J. R. Farley began work on the one-storey hospital in the fall. With the exterior finished by late 1906, efforts on the interior continued through the winter and, by late-April 1907, the facility was ready for inspection. Construction was completed at a cost of about $14,000. The hospital measured approximately 60 feet long by 40 feet wide. Its basement and main floor contained rooms for admitting, dining, staff accommodation, caretaking, and storage, along with four wards each of ten patient beds. When the new hospital opened, the old quarantine facility on Logan Avenue was closed.

The hospital did not operate year-round, at least not in later years, but opened seasonally as infections were identified. On 2 September 1915, the building suffered fire damage arising from a two-hour blaze. After cleaning, repair, and a new coat of paint, the facility reopened. By the early 1920s, however, it was no longer used and subject to vandalism. By 1924, Parks Board Superintendent George Champion recommended that the building and its associated outbuildings, including a stable and shed, be removed. His recommendation was accepted and, later that year, the outbuildings along with hospital equipment were sold. The hospital building was sold and dismantled in late 1924.

The location of the former hospital has since been used for cremated burials owing to the remaining subterranean presence of the former hospitals foundation.

Photos & Coordinates

Brookside Quarantine Hospital

Brookside Quarantine Hospital (1906)
Source: Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1906, Special Building Number page 48.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): 49.92101, W97.22848
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Charles Henry Wheeler (1838-1917)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brookside Cemetery (3001 Notre Dame Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Field of Honour Memorial (Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: University of Manitoba Medical Monument (Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Fire Fighters Memorial Monument (Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Korean War Memorial (Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brookside Chapel and Winter Vault (Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg)

Brookside Cemetery, City of Winnipeg.


City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2555/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Expenses of Aldermen,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 March 1906, page 2.

“[Every site which has been suggested...],” Manitoba Free Press, 23 March 1906, page 4.

“Smallpox hospital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 April 1906, page 9.

“Decided on site for quarantine,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 April 1906, page 14.

“Hospital quarantined,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 September 1906, page 25.

“Extensive municipal improvements,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1906, Special Building Number page 48.

“Hospital accommodation increased [Quarantine Hospital],” Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1906, Special Building Number page 50.

“Tenders for ambulance,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 January 1907, page 11.

“Local notes [Ald. Pulford],” Manitoba Free Press, 13 March 1907, page 13.

“Hospital soon to be ready,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 April 1907, page 19.

“Quarantine ready,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 April 1907, page 1.

“Cheap power development [New quarantine hospital],” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 May 1907, page 3.

“City of Winnipeg Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 June 1907, page 2.

“Economy urged by Controllers,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 August 1907, page 30.

“Civic campaign opens [Inspection of houses],” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 November 1907, page 2.

“Tenders for steam heating system, Quarantine hospital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 September 1908, page 10.

“Smallpox case reported in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1911, page 1.

Hathaway's Guide and Birds-Eye Map of Winnipeg, 1911.

“Had to open smallpox hospital,” Manitoba Free Press, 3 September 1913, page 20.

“Another smallpox case discovered,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 September 1913, page 2.

“City hall notes,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 June 1914, page 5.

“Big hospital municipal bill,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 February 1915, page 3.

“City and general [Smallpox hospital damaged],” Manitoba Free Press, 3 September 1915, page 5.

“City hall notes,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 October 1915, page 6.

“Health officials guarding against smallpox invasion,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 October 1915, page 1.

“Tenders for painting, kalsomining, etc,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 October 1915, page 4.

“City declares for standard loaves,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 November 1915, page 7.

“Smallpox hospital closes,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 June 1920 page 5.

“Surplus helps to reduce taxes,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 February 1922, page 2.

“Generous park site offer to Winnipeg,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 June 1924, page 5.

“Parks Board aims to promote horticulture,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 September 1924, page 11.

“Referendum to amend early closing bylaw,” Manitoba Free Press, 9 October 1924, page 3.

“Hydro applianes may be manufactured in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 November 1924, page 13.

We thank Brett Shenback (Municipal Cemeteries Branch) for providing additional information used here.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 30 June 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.