Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prince Edward Hotel (Princess Avenue, Brandon)
Designed by R. B. Pratt and D. A. Ross and built between 1911 and 1912 at the corner of Princess Street and Ninth Avenue in Brandon, adjacent to the station of the Canadian Northern Railway, it opened in early 1912 as the city’s grandest hotel.
Measuring 120 feet by 100 feet, and comprising six storeys of limestone and brick, the hotel basement contained a billiard room, barber shop, public bath, lavatories, storeroom, laundry, and machinery room. On the ground floor was a rotunda, bar, offices, check room, telephone and telegraph offices, news stand, dining room, kitchen, pantries, bake shop, drawing room, and writing room. Upstairs were 108 rooms, 48 of which featured private or connecting bathrooms. On the top floor were servants’ quarters and ten sample rooms. There were two passenger elevators and one freight elevator.
The hotel closed in 1976. A citizens’ group tried unsuccessfully to advocate Brandon city council for its designation as an historic site. The building was demolished on 24 February 1980.
“C.N.R.’s new Brandon hotel opens on April 1,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 February 1912, page 26.
Advertisement, Manitoba Free Press, 8 June 1912, page 28.
“Workers level half of hotel,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 February 1980, page 4.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 March 2018
Back to top of page