Historic Sites of Manitoba: Park School No. 1491 (RM of Armstrong)
The Park School District was established in April 1909 and a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at this site, SW17-20-3E in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong. It opened for classes in 1913, teaching classes in grades 1 to 8, and grade 9 by correspondence. Student enrollment peaked in 1925-1926 at 50. By 1959, responsibility for education in the senior grades had been taken over by the Evergreen School Division, and it took over all remaining grades in 1966. The former school building was sold and moved one-quarter mile north where it was used for storage. The school district was dissolved in 1967. A commemorative monument at the original school site was unveiled on 7 July 1990.
Among the teachers who worked at Park School were William Mondryk, Mr. Jenkins, William Jerowsky, William Sklepkowich, and Edward Poworoznick (1960-1965).
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 January 2018
Back to top of page