Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pacific Junction School (715 Cathcart Street, Winnipeg)
Located in the Charleswood suburb of Winnipeg, this school was built in 1987 and named after the former Pacific Junction Railway Station, which previously stood at the eastern corner of Elmhurst Road and Wilkes Avenue. There, in the early 1900s, the Canadian Northern Railway line merged with the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway line, forming a single track towards Winnipeg. The first trains arrived around 1905, with the Loudoun School built nearby in 1910, and a post office following two years later. A bronze plaque commemorating the pioneers of the early Pacific Junction was presented to the school by the Charleswood Historical Society.
The 32,000-square-foot Pacific Junction School was built on designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm MCM Architects at a cost of about $2.5 million. It opened to students in September 1987 and was officially opened at a ribbon-cutting event on 30 November 1987 attended by Assiniboine South School Division Board Chairman Ron Statham, Assistant Deputy Minister (Administration and Finance) Tim Sale on behalf of Education Minister Roland Penner, Community Services Minister Maureen Hemphill, Charleswood MLA Jim Ernst, Vice-President of the Charleswood Historical Society Len Van Roon, Principal Paul Gluck, John Taubensee of Taubensee Construction, and Glen Cockburn of MCM Architects. The K-6 school features an independent day-care facility and a 750-square-foot community room, cost-shared between the Assiniboine South (now Pembina Trails School Division) and the City’s Parks and Recreation Division.
Among the teachers of Pacific Junction School was Pat Bottrell (1988-2007).
Photos & Maps
“Pacific Junction officially opens,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Southwest Edition, 6 December 1987, page 1.
“School named after rail station,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Southwest Edition, 6 December 1987, page 4.
“Kids craft empty bowls to fill empty bellies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 November 2004, page B8.
“It's a playground again,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 October 2007, page A6.
We thank Pat Bottrell and Steven Christianson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 7 July 2018
Back to top of page