Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ochre River School No. 919 (Ochre River, RM of Lakeshore)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The Ochre River School District was organized formally in October 1897 and a log school building was erected in Ochre River in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. It was soon replaced, in 1899, by a wood frame structure which served until around 1908 when a two-storey, two-classroom school was built. Three classrooms were added to it in 1948. Shortly afterward, high students began to be bused to Dauphin. The school has since been replaced by the present structure. A commemorative monument, topped with a metal model of the earlier school building, was erected in July 1987.

Principals

Period

Principal

1920-1924

David Smith Tod (1870-1937)

1924-1928

Robert William Dunlop (1876-?)

1928-1931

Louis Erwin “Lewis” Gendron (1896-1973)

1931-1932

Sidney Irvine Mott (1871-?)

1932-1934

W. N. Harvey

1934-1936

Marie M. Evans

1936-1937

Arthur A. Foster

1937-1940

Edward Marshall Maguire (1915-2005)

1940-1941

Melvin G. Pipe

1941-1946

William George Cooper (1911-1983)

1946-1952

Ernest Carl Single (c1923-2010)

1952-1953

Cecil Victor Gunn (1894-?)

1953-1954

Marie Barton

1954-1956

Nicholas Yarish (1924-2012)

1956-1958

Jan Kup

1958-1959

Abe L. Petkau

1959-1960

Steve Onyschak

1960-1961

Julius Skublen

1961-1963

?

1963-1965

Barry McLachlan

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1954-1955

Mrs. Josephine Allen, Mrs. Marie Barton, Morris Bohonus, Miss Mabel Geisel, George Pavlin

1955-1956

Mrs. Josephine Allen, Morris Bohonus, Miss Mavis Fox, Michael Kotyluk, George Pavlin

1956-1957

Mrs. Josephine Allen, Joseph Tysarski, Mrs. Violet Tysarski, Alice Watt

1957-1958

Mrs. Josephine Allen, Shirley Allen, Joseph Tysarski, Mrs. Violet Tysarski

1958-1959

Mrs. Josephine Allen, Shirley Allen, Waldy Humeniuk, Mrs. Verna King

1959-1960

Miss Edna Giesbrecht, Mrs. Verna King, Julius Skublen, Mrs. Rosa Solomon

1960-1961

Miss Edna Giesbrecht, Mrs. Verna King, Mrs. Rosa Solomon

1961-1962

?

1962-1963

?

1963-1964

Miss Mary Aitken, Mrs. Wilma McLennon

1964-1965

Mrs. Wilma McLennon, Mrs. Mary Quick

1965-1966

Mrs. Audrey Houston, Margaret Morgan

Among the other teachers of Ochre River School were Mr. Broadfoot (1898), Anna Switzer, Mamie Sparrow (1938), Gladys Birnie (1938), Margot Richter (1938), E. V. Archibald (1938), H. Atkin (1938), Bernice G. Hearn, Miss Gillespie, Miss Reed, Kathleen Code Simpson, Edith King Marsh, and Paul Hiebert.

Photos & Maps

Ochre River School

Ochre River School (no date) by H. J. Everall
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 23.

Ochre River School commemorative monument

Ochre River School commemorative monument (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N51.06248, W99.77709
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.

“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.

“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.

“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.

“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, pages 1, 6.

“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.

“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.

“Teaching staff for area schools increases to 132 for opening 1963-64 term,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 21 August 1963, page 1.

“All area schools open classes next Tuesday, 131 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 26 August 1964, page 1.

“All schools in area open classes Sept. 1 – 133 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 25 August 1965, page 1, 8.

Between Mountain and Lake: A History of Ochre River Rural Municipality, 1885-1970 by Ochre River Women’s Institute History Committee, Neepawa: The Neepawa Press, 1970, pages 25-28.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.