Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lowe Farm School No. 1033 (Lowe Farm, RM of Morris)
The Lowe Farm School District was established formally in June 1899 and a one-room school building was erected in the village of Lowe Farm in the Rural Municipality of Morris. It was replaced in 1913 by a two-storey structure made of locally manufactured concrete blocks. Crowding caused by the introduction of a high school program necessitated the addition of a small building, in 1926. Another building was built east of the concrete-block school in 1936, followed three years later by a two-roomed building made of red bricks. A four-classroom brick veneer building was added to the site in 1955, including the school’s first auditorium. In the summer of 1956, the concrete block building was sold at auction and dismantled. It became the Lowe Farm Consolidated School No. 2377 when, in July 1959, it merged with St. Peter’s School No. 1031, Heabert School No. 1282, and Neufeld School No. 1580, later becoming part of the Morris-Macdonald School Division. The present school building was constructed in 1961 on a different site from the original structure.
Among the teachers of Lowe Farm School was Frank K. Isaac.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Reflections of Lowe Farm, 1899-1999 by the Lowe Farm History Book Committee.
Aerial photograph A11637-162 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Lowe Farm School.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 October 2018
Back to top of page