Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minto Armoury (969 St. Matthews Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Minto Armory was designed by Winnipeg architect H. E. Matthews and built in 1914. Its distinct red bricks were manufactured at the Sidney Brickworks. On 22 January 1956, extensive damage was done during a fire that killed a member of the Winnipeg Fire Department. The original wooden roof, destroyed in the blaze, was replaced by the present steel truss roof.
The facility hosts three regimental museums. A museum for the Royal Winnipeg Rifles is open to the public on Tuesdays from 2:00 to 8:00 PM, or by appointment. Museums for the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders and the 38th Service Battalion are open by appointment.
“Fire dept. officer goes down fighting,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 January 1956, page 1.
We thank Dennis Puranen for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 June 2018
Back to top of page