Historic Sites of Manitoba: Melnice School No. 1295 (RM of St. Andrews)
The Melnice School District was established in June 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW13-17-3E in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Evergreen School Division. The school remained open for classes in grades 1 to 8 until 1968. Several years later, the building was moved to the St. Stephen’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church site where it served as a church hall until 1983. It was later destroyed by fire.
Among the teachers of Melnice School were N. Yakimischuk, D. Yakimischuk, Heinak, Billinsky, Ostapowicz, Segurusson, Kozier (1924-1928), Humeniuk (1928-1930), Yakimschuk (1930-1933), Annie Nedotafko (1933-1936), Nick Punak (1936-1940), Russin (1941-1946), Basarabowicz (1946-1948), Budzinsky (1948-1950), Perehinczuk (1950-1953), Lewis (1953-1956), Lysak (1956-1957), William Jerowsky (1957-1959), Ed Firman (1959-1961), L. Melnyk (1961-1962), Bob Isfeld (1962-1964), and Jean Chartrand (1964-1967).
Teulon East topographic map, 62I/6 East, Edition 1, 1956, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
We thank Mel and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 January 2018
Back to top of page