Historic Sites of Manitoba: McCormicks Limited Building (425 Henry Avenue, Winnipeg)
The four-storey Turner-Walker Block, adjacent to the Canadian Pacific Railway yards, was built by Carter-Halls-Aldinger in 1912 on a design by local architect J. N. Semmens. Its owner was businessman and politician Sampson Walker and one of its first occupants was the Turner-Walker Company, manufacturers agents, formed around 1910 by Charles G. Turner and Raymond Walker, one of Sampson Walker’s four sons. By 1917, their business partnership had ended and the warehouse was occupied successively by the T. Eaton Company, Manitoba Vegetable Growers, and Manitoba Liquor Control Commission.
Sampson Walker sold the building in 1930 to the Catelli Macaroni Products Corporation, which used it as a manufacturing facility until 1958. It was purchased by McCormicks Limited in 1949 and subsequently used to manufacture biscuits until 1979. It was vacant for a time then acquired by the Winnipeg Housing Rehabilitation Corporation for conversion to low-income housing. The successful renovation was recognized in 1990 by a Heritage Winnipeg Conservation Award. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
McCormicks Limited Building / Former Turner-Walker Block (425 Henry Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, December 1987.
“Recycling buildings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 February 1991, WT section, page 2.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2020
Back to top of page