Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Derry School No. 1052 (RM of Elton)

The Derry School District was organized formally in February 1900 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE13-11-27W in the Rural Municipality of Elton. It closed permanently in June 1966 and the district was merged into Beautiful Plains School Division in January 1968.

The teachers of Derry School were Llewellyn Ellis (1901), Miss Evie Conn (1901-1902), Miss Agnes Moore (1903-1906, 1908-1909), Miss Rose McKay (1906-1907), Charles Matheson (1910-1911), Miss Florence Waddell (1911-1913), Miss Lillian Pearson (1913-1914), Miss Margaret McFetridge (1914-1915), Miss Jessie Blair (1915-1916), Miss Ivy Musgrove (1917-1920), Miss Fern Bowles (1921), Miss Eva Berlinquet (1922), Miss Lorna Reid (1922-1923), Miss Alice Taylor (1923-1925), Miss Annie Mitchell (1925-1926), Miss Florence Miller (1926-1928), Mary “Molly” Hawkins (1928-1929), Ezilpha M. Farley (1929-1931, 1948-1953), Mime Casselman (1931-1932), Dorothy Jones (1932-1934), Sally Course (1934-1936), Rhoda Blair (1936-1939), Phyllis Deacon (1939-1941), Sadie Boyle (1941-1944), Norma Chapple (1944-1946), Anna Bjornson (1946-1947), Elaine Graham (1947-1948), Shirley Connelly (1953-1954), Mrs. Mime Westcott (1954-1956), Alice Bocek (1956-1957), Donald Loutit (1957-1958), Joyce Honeyman (1958-1959), Donna Mack (1959-1960), Mrs. Mary Neighbor (1960-1963), Betty Zacharias (1963-1964), and Jean Smith (1964-1966).

Derry School

Derry School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 47.

Derry School

Derry School (1960s)
Source: Manitoba Historic Resources Branch, HRR5166.

Derry School

Derry School monument (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.91616, W99.66055
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 January 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.