Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marney School No. 275 (RM of Oakview)
Known as the Rosedale School District when it was established in April 1883, a one-classroom, wood frame schoolhouse operated at this site (NE19-15-21W) in what is now the Rural Municipality of Oakview until 1926, when it was renamed Marney. The school closed in 1960 and its area was divided between the Cardale Consolidated School District and the Strathclair Consolidated School District, and later became part of the Rolling River School Division. A monument commemorating the former school stands in the cemetery across the road. The school building still stood, at the time of a 2016 site visit, in an unoccupied farmyard about nine miles south at N50.17111, W100.33750.
Newdale West topographic map, 62K/8 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Richard Turenne for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 November 2016
Back to top of page