Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Markland School No. 828 (RM of Coldwell)

The Markland School District was established formally in January 1895 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on the east shore of Shoal Lake, at NW12-19-3W (1909), until 1920 when a new building was constructed at SE24-19-3W in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. The school closed in 1950. The building was sold and moved to Narcisse where it was renovated into a private residence. A metal sign commemorates the school at its former site and some school records are held at the Chatfield Park of Souvenirs Museum.

The teachers of Markland School included Jon J. Bildfell (1896-1898), Bjorg Thorkelson (1899-1901), Fred J. Olsen (1901-1902), Evelyn Lundy (1903), Mary Kelly Buhr (1904-1906), Jonasina Stefansson Abrahamsson (1907-1908), Margrethe Thorlaksson Sigmar (1909), Rose Magnusson Bjornsson (1910), S. Bjorgvin Stefansson (1911-1912), Rannveig Thorsteinsson Gudmundson (1913), P. F. Kerans? (1913-1914), Asta Austmann Oddson (1914 1915-1917), Amelia Palmason (1915), Rev. Gudmundur Arnason (1917), Thora Stephenson (1918), Ljotun Johnson (1918), Jon Runolfson (1919), Eva M. Mason (1921), Gudny Kirstjanson (1922), Grace Jasper (1923), Neil Murray McIvor (?-1928), Edith Margaret Pierce (1929), Mrs. H. Roberts (1929), Franklin E. A. Bothe (1930), Norman Wilde (1930), Hazel Oliphant (1931), Evelyn King (1932), Gertrude Schwartz (1932-1933), Margaret Anne Parker (1933-1935), Marie Grace Lozinski (1935-1936), Eleanor Bertha Montgomery (1936-1938), Mabel Annie Day (1938-1939), Mabel Lane (1939), Thora Oliver (1940), Hazel A. Copper (1940-1941), S. Bahrey (1941-1942), Abraham Fast (1942-1943), Merle Alison Cotte (1943-1944), Hazel Lillian Taylor (1944-1945), Mildred Sellgren (1945-1946), C. Ivash (1946-1947), Ann “Anne” Husiak (1947-1948), Nina Austford (1948-1949), J. Magnus Bjarnason, H. Bardal, Miss C. A. Shewfelt, Laura Sigurjonson, and Jana C. Gudmundson.

Markland School commemorative sign

Markland School commemorative sign (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.63874, W97.74066
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 by Lundar and District Historical Society, c1980.

Wilderness to Wildlife: Chatfield and District History by Chatfield Oldtimers Club, c1981. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C45 Wil]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Markland School District #828 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Markland School District No. 828 - Cash Books, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 3 December 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.