Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Margaret Underhill School (25 Regina Place, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This two-storey elementary school commemorates Margaret Underhill, the first full-time female Principal in the Transcona School District. Built of Tyndall stone in 1965, the school was based on designs of Winnipeg architectural firm of Ward and Macdonald. It had 24 classrooms, a music room, and library, all centered around an auditorium. The school opened to students in September 1965 and was officially opened on 19 November 1965 by Underhill at a ribbon-cutting event. The ribbon was held by two other veteran teachers, Miss C. Irving and Miss M. Webster. Speaking at the event before a crowd of 200 were Superintendent Bobby Bend, Mayor Harry Fuller, Manitoba Legislative Assembly Speaker Thelma Forbes, MLA Andrew Russell Paulley, and Department of Education Director of Special Services C. J. Muller. Other local long-serving female teachers in attendance included Miss E. Hammond, Miss Millie Webster, Miss Kay Irving, Miss I. Coltart, Mrs H. Spackman Kerr, Miss Marion Webster, Miss M. Wright, Miss H. McKellar, Miss M. Hammond, Miss E. Nevens, and Miss C. Hurst. Keys to the school were presented by Louis Ducharme to Principal A. J. Robson, architect Laurie Ward, Superintendent Bobby Bend, and Maintenance Supervisor G. Demare.

Inside the entrance of the building is a plaque, unveiled on the same as the school’s official opening, that commemorates female educators of notable tenure in the district, most of which taught at the Central School, who provided a combined 741 years of service. Their names, along with their respective years of service, are: Mrs. Myra Inez Barton Fowler (32), Miss Annie Bell (18), Miss Victoria M. Brown (20), Miss Isabelle Mary Coltart (31), Mrs. Linda Dozois Crossland (26), Miss Elizabeth Florence Hammond (35), Miss Mildred Mary Hammond (36), Mrs. Alice Elsie Harvey Peck (38), Miss Marian M. Hurst (34), Miss Catheryne [Cathryne] Barbara Irving (41), Miss Mae Masters (29), Miss Florence Catherine Matheson (34), Miss Helen May McKellar (26), Miss Lulu Violet Moir (24), Miss Edythe Murdock Nevens (36), Miss Lily Almyra Nevens (39), Mrs. Eliza Lillian Scott Hunt (17), Mrs. Helen Spackman Kerr (17), Miss Helen Tandy (16), Margaret Underhill (36), Miss Millie Webster (38), Miss Marion Elizabeth Webster (37), Mrs Mattie Ward Widlake (24), Miss Effie Marian Wilson (21), and Miss Mary Elma Wright (36).

In September 1993, the school introduced a French Immersion program for the Transcona-Springfield School Division and, in September 1996, it became Ecole Margaret-Underhill. It is now within the River East Transcona School Division.





Aleck J. Robson


Teddy Emilio “Ted” Stoyko (1938-2018)


Nestor Gylywoychuk


Thelma Hitchen


Bill Heather


Ken Renaud


Odile Dube


Mario Beauchamp


Marjorie Millman


Joelle Guillou





Teddy Emilio “Ted” Stoyko (1938-2018)


Gordon Mushey


John Oberton


Ian Hamilton


Thelma Hitchen


Art Peters


Judy Balabas


Gilbert Dupuis


Rena Lawrence Brown


Gilbert Dupuis


Jeannine Porteous


No information.

Photos & Coordinates

Margaret Underhill School

Margaret Underhill School (October 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Margaret Underhill School commemorative plaque

Margaret Underhill School commemorative plaque (September 2020)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90314, W96.99477
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Margaret “Maggie” Underhill (1898-1986)


[Photo caption], Transcona News, 11 June 1965, page 1.

“Lady teachers honored in newest elementary school,” Transcona News, 25 November 1965, page 1.

“Teachers honored,” Transcona News, 25 November 1965, page 12.

“School meeting makes parents even angrier,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1972, page 3.

“Push-button arithmetic - help or hindrance?,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 September 1975, page 17.

From Slate to Computer in the Transcona-Springfield Area 1873-1983 by Nan Shipley, 1983, page 350.

“Alert teacher scares off attacker during schoolyard assault on girl,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 December 1987, page 3.

“New Principals appointed,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Rural Edition, 12 May 1992, page 11.

“Warm-hearted students collect blankets,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review North, 21 November 2001 page 1.

About Ecole Margaret-Underhill, River East Transcona School Division.

We thank the River East Transcona School Division for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 4 September 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.