Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board Building / Manitoba Hydro Building (650 Harrow Street, Winnipeg)
The first part of this building at the southwest corner of Harrow Street and Taylor Avenue in Winnipeg, designed by the local architectural firm of Moody and Moore, was constructed between 1957 and 1958 to accommodate engineers and administrative staff of the Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board.
In 1961, when the Board amalgamated with the Manitoba Power Commission to form Manitoba Hydro, more floor space was needed so a new wing, completed in early 1963 by Trident Construction, extended the building westward along Taylor. The Commission's former office at 1075 Portage Avenue was vacated.
Finally, between 1966 and 1967, an additional two floors were added to the south wing of the building, and a single floor on the west wing, to bring it to its present four-storey configuration. In early 1963, the main entrance to the building was moved from the original location on the east side at 650 Harrow to the north side at 820 Taylor.
The building began to be vacated when a new corporate headquarters building opened at 360 Portage Avenue in 2009. It continues to house a small number of Manitoba Hydro staff but has been put up for sale and was mostly empty at the time of a 2020 site visit.
Fort Rouge Through the Years, Souvenir Booklet, 1974 by Fort Rouge Centennial Sports Committee, 1974, page 33.
Manitoba Hydro, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 March 2023