Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Cold Storage Warehouse (151 Higgins Avenue, Winnipeg)

A building formally located at the northwest corner of Higgins Avenue and Meade Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Daniel Smith and built in 1903 by Kelly Brothers for the Manitoba Cold Storage Company. Originally a six-storey building, two additional floors were designed by architect John Woodman in 1910.

In 1912, an addition measuring 105 foot by 160 foot and designed by Chicago architect D. L. Davis, was built at a cost of about $250,000. Two years later, an addition was built by James McDiarmid at a cost of about $60,000.

Further work in 1920, designed by Edward Herbert Rodgers and built by Carter-Halls-Aldinger, entailed remodeling of the freezer building. In 1937, another addition designed by architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers was built by Carter-Halls-Aldinger at a cost of about $300,000.

In 2004, the now abandoned building was destroyed by fire and subsequently demolished.

Manitoba Cold Storage Warehouse

Manitoba Cold Storage Warehouse (no date)
Source: Winnipeg Building Index, University of Manitoba.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90428, W97.12936
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Daniel Smith (1840-1913)

Manitoba Business: Kelly Brothers / Manitoba Construction Company / Kelly Brothers and Mitchell / Thomas Kelly and Sons

Memorable Manitobans: John Woodman (1861-1944)

Memorable Manitobans: James McDiarmid (1855-1934)

Memorable Manitobans: Edward Herbert Rodgers (1857-1950)

Manitoba Business: Carter-Halls-Aldinger / Commonwealth Construction Company

Manitoba Business: Sutherland Construction Company

Manitoba Business: Northwood and Chivers / Northwood Chivers and Casey


“To contractors,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 September 1903, page 4.

“Tenders for excavating,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 May 1912, page 2.

“Will double cold storage structure,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 May 1912, page 12.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2453/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Building record go up rapidly,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 April 1914, page 22.

“Contract let for large addition,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 April 1914, page 103.

“City and district,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 March 1920, page 14.

“Issues permits for buildings worth $244,000,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 March 1920, page 3.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 160/1920, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Erection of addition to plant is started,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 July 1937, page 6.

“Permits up,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1937, page 7.

“Burning Warehouse razed soon,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 August 2004, page 1.

This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.

Page revised: 26 March 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!