Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maley House / “Casa Maley” (1605 Victoria Avenue, Brandon)
Designed by the local architectural firm of Shillinglaw and Marshall, Maley House was constructed in 1912 at the corner of Victoria Avenue and 16th Street by builder Alexander McDonald, at an estimated cost of $14,000. Built for brewer Henry F. Maley, the house was erected near the end of Brandon’s great economic boom that resulted in several stately homes in the central area of the city.
In 1918, the house was purchased by Dr. Henry O. McDiarmid who lived in it until his death in 1952. It was owned by his son, Dr. R. O. “Bud” McDiarmid until 1978. The building was later operated as a bed and breakfast and, in early 2010, as the home for a medical clinic.
“Valuable Brandon residence burned,” Manitoba Free Press, 11 May 1912, page 22.
Maley House (Casa Maley), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Margaret Patrick and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 October 2019
Back to top of page