Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lundar Consolidated School No. 1670 (Lundar, RM of Coldwell)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The Lundar School District was established formally in February 1913 but it existed for only a few months before becoming the Lundar Consolidated School District. It operated a school in Lundar in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. After the original school building was destroyed by fire on 8 July 1947, a new school opened in the fall of 1949, expanded with an addition on the back in December 1956.

Principals

Period

Principal

1913-1915

Raymond George Pannell (1894-1936)

1915-1916

Gudmundur Olafur Thorsteinson (1888-1934)

1916-1918

?

1918-1919

Elin Salome Halldorson (1887-1970)

1919-1920

Ivah B. Smith

1920-1922

H. J. Leo

1922-1923

Mary Hazel Dunseith (1900-1983)

1923-1924

Omar Ernest Campbell (1868-1936)

1924-1925

Leonard Krueger (c1898-1991)

1925-1928

Kristjan Bergthor Sigurdsson (1899-?)

1928-1929

Gordon Thomas MacDonell (1908-2004)

1929-1930

Kenneth Donald Bruce (1892-1968)

1930-1931

William Fogel (1903-1991)

1931-1933

Florence Mae Shirtliffe (1903-2006)

1933-1934

Nita Romanche [Romanczycz] (1910-1993)

1934-1935

Max Manishen

1935-1940

Benjamin Franklin Olson (1898-1981)

1940-1941

J. A. Carmichael

1941-1955

K. Felix Sigurdson

1955-1956

Bodvar Jon Skuli Bodvarson (1911-1972)

1956-1973

George Schroeder

Teachers

Among the other teachers at Lundar School were E. Salome Halldorson (1918-1919) and Benno Richard Klaassen (?-1979).

Photos & Coordinates

The original Lundar School

The original Lundar School (no date) by M. Hall-Jones
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 14.

The original Lundar School being destroyed by fire

The original Lundar School being destroyed by fire (July 1947)
Source: Judy Gleich

The second Lundar School, opened in 1949

The second Lundar School, opened in 1949 (no date)
Source: Judy Gleich

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.69347, W98.03401
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dehowa School No. 1451 (Poplarfield, RM of Fisher)

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

Lundar topographic map, 62J/9, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 by Lundar and District Historical Society, c1980.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Linda Collette, Nathan Kramer, and Judy Gleich for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 July 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.