Historic Sites of Manitoba: L. P. Court / Wilfred Apartments / West Gate Apartments / Misericordia Hospital Nurses’ Home (21 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Located on the east side of Sherbrook Street in Winnipeg, the L. P. Court was a three-storey apartment block commissioned by owner-contractor Louis Pachal and designed by William Bruce. The brick and masonry structure had 12 suites and measured 50 feet frontage along Sherbrook to a depth of 80 feet. It was completed in 1911 at a total cost of about $18,500 and is believed to have been named for its owner's initials. The block was renamed as the Wilfred Apartments by 1918 and as the West Gate [Westgate] Apartments around 1928.

Around 1930, the two and a half storey dwelling at 23 Sherbrook, immediately north of the West Gate Apartments, was acquired by Misericordia Hospital for use for staff lodgings. Around 1931, the West Gate Aparments were likewise acquired, and the nurses quarters expanded. The Cornish Court was added to the Nurses’ Home around 1942 and all three buildings were interconnected. The Misericordia Hospital Nurses’ Home was later replaced with new quarters, the Misericordia Hospital Nurses’ Residence, at 691 Wolseley Avenue in 1961 [demolished 2021]. The complex was next used by Villa Rosa until they relocated to new quarters in 1966.

By 1973, the site of all three buildings (19-23 Sherbrook) and almost all other buildings on that block (except 41-43 Sherbrook) had been demolished to make way for a surface parking lot. This space was later occupied by a four-storey parkade for the Misericordia Health Centre. In 1992, a variety of health and rehabilitation services, sometimes collectively known as Easy Street, were officially opened along the main level Sherbrook frontage.

Photos & Coordinates

The former L. P. Court

The former L. P. Court (left) and Cornish Court (right) across from the Misericordia Hospital (1923) by Royal Canadian Air Force photographer
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Surveys Branch aerial photographs (A 0262), GR11610, FA 23 - 55.

The former L. P. Court

The former L. P. Court (right) and Cornish Court (left) across from the Misericordia Hospital (1923) by Royal Canadian Air Force photographer
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Surveys Branch aerial photographs (A 0262), GR11610, FA 23 - 48.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87943, W97.15941
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: William Bruce (1852-?)

Memorable Manitobans: Louis A. Pachal (1871-1925)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Misericordia General Hospital (20 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cornish Court / Misericordia Hospital Nurses’ Home (19 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg)

MHS Centennial Organization: Villa Rosa

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1272/1911, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Choice suite,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 December 1911, page 7.

“Westgate Apartments,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 May 1930, page 23.

“Tenders for general contract for Nurses Residence Misericordia Hospital [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 March 1962, page 3.

“Misericordia to build Nurses Home,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 May 1961, page 14.

“Wolseley tree spirit beats bulldozer,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 August 1961, page 2.

“Man injured in fall from roof,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 March 1962, page 3.

“Patients heal faster on “Easy Street”,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 June 1992, Weekly West Edition page 1.

“Misericordia old hosipital with innovative new programs,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 March 1995, Wellness Expo page 19.

Western Canada Fire Underwriters Association, H7 614.41 edc Series 2 Volume 1 - Winnipeg - Sheet #141, Archives of Manitoba.

Western Canada Fire Underwriters Association, H7 614.41 edc Series 3 Volume 1 - Winnipeg - Sheet #141, Archives of Manitoba.

Western Canada Fire Underwriters Association, H7 614.41 edc Series 4 Volume 1 - Winnipeg - Sheet #141, Archives of Manitoba.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 30 October 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!