Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leckie Building (216 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick building on McDermot Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Henry S. Griffith and named for the sibling duo of dentist David Garnet Leckie (1880-1945) and interior decorating contractor Robert Andrew “Bert” Leckie (1884-1948). They took occupancy by late November 1900. Early tenants included the Young Liberal Club, tea merchant J. E. Huxley, Canadian Order of Foresters, tailor J. S. Stephenson, and Copeland Chatterson & Company. The structure suffered $2,500 in structural damages and $4,000 in tenant losses during a 21 September 1924 blaze, extinguished by crews from the Central Fire Hall and South Fire Hall. In July 2017, it became a municipally-designated historic building.

Leckie Building

Leckie Building (August 2019)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89696, W97.13992
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Henry Sandham Griffith (1865-1943)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

“Fine wall papers,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 November 1899, page 8.

“Removal sale of wall paper,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 October 1900, page 8.

“Removed..,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 November 1900, page 8.

“The young Liberals: will take up new quarters in the Leckie Block,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 December 1900, page 5.

1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.

“Hall dedicated,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 October 1909, page 7.

“Leckie Building gutted,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 September 1924, page 4.

“Fire in Leckie Block causes $7,000 damage,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 September 1924, page 5.

“Dr. Garnet Leckie, dentist, is dead,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 May 1945, page 5.

Death notice [David Garnet Leckie], Winnipeg Free Press, 29 May 1945, page 14.

“Cpl. G. Kenneth Leckie married in California,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 August 1945, page 5.

“Robert Leckie, 63, dies at residence,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 April 1948, page 22.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.

Page revised: 27 December 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.