Historic Sites of Manitoba: Laggan School No. 1935 / Daybreak Presbyterian Church (RM of Pipestone)
The Laggan School District was established in July 1918 from a portion of the former Daybreak School District and, in 1922, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at SW31-9-26W in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone on land purchased for $25 from local farmer William McDonald. In 1965, Laggan School was consolidated with the Virden Consolidated School District. The area later became part of the Fort La Bosse School District. The former school building was moved to SE13-10-27W (56010 Road 156N) where it is used for storage.
The school stood beside the Daybreak Presbyterian Church that had been built in 1902 and closed in 1962. The building was moved to the other side of the quarter section and was renovated into a private residence.
A monument commemorating Daybreak School, Laggan School, and Daybreak Presbyterian Church was unveiled at the site during a ceremony on 10 July 1988.
Among the teachers who worked at Laggan School through the years were Frieda Lawrence, Charlotte Thompson, and Olive Foote (1940-1941).
Elkhorn East topographic map, 62F/14 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 279-280. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
“Cairn is unveiled at Laggan,” Virden Empire-Advance, 20 July 1988, page 6.
“Celebrating the contributions of rural permit teachers,” The Valley Leader, 3 June 2009.
Page revised: 31 March 2021