MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hranko School No. 1264 (Municipality of Rossburn)

The Hranko School District was established formally in January 1904 and a one-room school building was erected at SW23-20-24W in the Municipality of Rossburn. In 1927, with some 70 children of school age in the district, it was split into two districts, with the western part becoming Perch School District No. 2177. In 1937, local voters chose to move the school to NW11-20-24W (about N50.71235, W100.71762), about a mile south of this site. The school closed in 1954 and its remaining students went to Rossburn Consolidated School No. 2358. The building is no longer present at the site but a monument commemorates it at the original site.

The teachers of Hranko School were Fred Hawryluk (1907), Alex Klymkiw (1907-1909), Jaroslav Koltek (1909-1912), Harry Golets (1912-1913), Mike Wonitoway (1914), Anthony Martyniuk (1914), Henry Gushe (1915-1917), Nicholas Bilash (1917), George Hutzal (1918-1919), N. Podworney (1920), Basil Trakalo (1921), Joseph Dutchak (1922), Wasyl Yarmey (1923-1925), Andrew Danyleyko (1925-1927), Joseph Dutchak (1927-1928), Zelma Peden (1928), Lillian Cole (1928-1929, 1930), Cassie McKee (1929), R. Nitchuk (1930), Anna Neydli (1930-1931), Phyllis Klymkiw (1931-1934), Harry Pinuita (1934-1936), Nellie Dunits (1936-1940), Michael Mazier (1940-1941), Jennie Polischuk (1941-1943), Stella Hrysak (1943-1944), Ollie Kowal (1944-1945), Maurice Chomica (1945-1946, 1947-1948), Jeanette Derkach (1946-1947), Kay Rubeniuk (1948-1949), Helen Peterson (1949-1950), Mike Sitko (1950-1951), Mary Kotyk (1951-1952), and Jean Matiowsky (1952-1954).

The second Hranko School building

The second Hranko School building (no date) by J. P. Sigvaldason
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 88.

Hranko School commemorative monument

Hranko School commemorative monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.72755, W100.71757
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.