Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hoey East School No. 2173 (RM of St. Clements)
The Hoey School District was established formally in October 1927, named for MLA Robert Alexander Hoey, and a one-room schoolhouse was establised at NW2-15-5E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements, moved in 1934 to a site on River Lot 22. In 1944, with growing student enrollment, a second school building (to be named Hoey East) was built at NW36-14-5E, while the original school building was moved to River Lot 146 and renamed Hoey West. Both schools were operated by the same trustees until consolidation with the Happy Thought School District occurred in 1960. The former schoolhouse was sold in January 1962 and moved to the site of Poplar Park School to replace a building that had burned down. In 2018, a commemorative sign was installed at the former school site.
The teachers of Hoey East School were Frances Helen Novak (1944-1945), Sophie Gerylo Klim (1945-1949), Miss Verna Bzovy (1949-1950), Miss Dora Ann Dueck (1950-1951), Rosalie Veronica Tkachuyk (1951-1952), Mrs. Louise Jones (1952-1953), Gladys Freda Skabar (1953-1954), Lawrence William Strick (1954-1955), Roderick James Dunning (1955-1956), Donald Nicholas Lefteruk (1956-1957), Lorna Sinclair (1957), Margaret Skavinski (1957-1958), Gloria Ledochowski (1958-1959), and Alda Johnson (1959-1960).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984, pages 253-255.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Hoey School District No. 2173 - Cash Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
School Districts of the Libau Area of Manitoba, 1887-1967 by Charlene Dusyk and Sylvia Sweetland, Winnipeg, 2017.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 October 2018