Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hoey West School No. 2173 (RM of St. Clements)
The Hoey School District was established formally in October 1927, named for MLA Robert Alexander Hoey. In 1944, with growing student enrollment, a second school building (to be named Hoey East) was built at NW36-14-5E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements, while the original school building was moved to River Lot 146 and renamed Hoey West. Both schools were operated by the same trustees until consolidation with the Happy Thought School District occurred in 1960. The school closed in June 1962. The building was sold, removed from the site, and renovated into a workshop. In 2018, a commemorative sign was installed at the former school site.
The teachers of Hoey West School were Arthur W. Petrick (1927-1928), Raphael Marion Sundt (1929), John Victor Wilkinson (1929-1930), Robert McIlroy (1930-1932), Christine Mae Oliver (1932-1934), William Norval Donald (1935-1937), Sigurdar Thorberg Sigurdson (1937-1938), Gordon R. Fines (1940), Kelvin Henry Turner (1940-1941), Michael Mark Zegalski (1941), Jake A. Fehr (1942), Cornelius C. Bergen (1942), Daniel Frederick McNeill (1942-1944), Miss Matilda Maier (1944-1946), Mrs. Evelyn Margaret O’Dell (1946-1947), Mary Edeline Kondratuk (1948-1949), Donald G. Korba (1949-1950), Nobus Matsubara (1950-1951), Margaret A. Young (1951-1952), Ralph Stanley Trombo (1952-1953), Cecile E. M. Hopko (1953-1954), Stephanie Molitowsky (1954-1959), and Miss Patricia A. King (1960).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984, pages 253-255.
School Districts of the Libau Area of Manitoba, 1887-1967 by Charlene Dusyk and Sylvia Sweetland, Winnipeg, 2017.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 April 2020
Back to top of page