Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gruenthal School No. 1592 (Municipality of Rhineland)
The Gruenthal School District was established in June 1911 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW19-1-1W in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland. In 1967, the district was divided between the Altona Consolidated School District and Gretna Consolidated School District. The area later became part of the Rhineland School Division.
Among the teachers at Gruenthal School were P. J. Dyck (1919-1920), Peter A. Loeppky (1921-1923), J. V. Neufeld (1923-1924), Adolph Guse (1924-1927), Kate Klassen (1926-1934, 1947-1951), Eve Friesen (1934-1935), Henry D. Dyck (1935-1936), Jacob Heinrich Reimer (1936-1940), William Frank Derksen (1940-1942), Peter David Matthies (1942-1944), ? (1944-1947), John Wiebe Driedger (1951-1952), Henry W. Hildebrand (1952-1955), John B. Wiebe (1955-1957), John Krahn (1957-1959), Henry Krushel (1959-1960), Jacob Elias Neufeld (1960-1962, 1963-1967), and Henry Neudorf (1962-1963).
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Gruenthal School District No. 1592 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Gruenthal School District No. 1592 - Cash Books, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Altona East topographic map, 62H/4 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 March 2021