Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glencove School No. 205 (Municipality of Glenboro-South Cypress)
The Glencove School District was organized formally in 1884 and a school building was erected the next year on the southwest quarter of 16-17-13 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of South Cypress. Around 1923, it was replaced by a one-storey, one-classroom brick structure with a full basement, built on the same plans as Morranville School. As its enrollment declined, the school closed in 1958 and its students went to Glenboro Consolidated School No. 2367 or Cypress River Consolidated School No. 2357. The district was dissolved in 1959.
A brick replica of the former school building, made from its bricks and dedicated in July 1982, stands across the road from the original site.
Among the teachers who worked at Glencove School was Mildred Edith Richarda Dowd (1936-1937).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Georgette Hutlet and Lynn Jones for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 February 2017
Back to top of page