Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gilchrist House (1015 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg)
This two-storey brick and stucco house on Wellington Crescent in Winnipeg, measuring 110 feet by 53 feet, was designed by local architect Arthur Edward Cubbidge. Containing 14 bedrooms, the house was built in 1932 by contractor James Barton Gass for grain merchant James Miller Gilchrist at a cost of about $60,000.
In 1948, the house became occupied by Gilbert and Marjorie Eaton, members of the famous department store family. After they moved out, the house was purchased in the early 1970s by fashion designer Peter Nygard.
The house was demolished between July and August 2022.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 292/1932, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Slow increase in permits issued in Winnipeg area,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 March 1932, page 25.
“Permits taken out for seven new dwellings,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 April 1932, page 4.
“Permit issued for beautiful crescent home,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 April 1932, page 34.
“Beautiful homes erected in Winnipeg and district,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 1932, page 3.
“Social – personal,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 January 1948, page 8.
“Crowds go through house on Crescent,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 October 1972, page 18.
If Walls Could Talk: Manitoba’s Best Buildings Explored & Explained by David Butterfield and Maureen Devanik Butterfield, Great Plains Publications, 2000, 128 pages.
James M. Gilchrist House, 1015 Wellington Crescent by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 March 2023