Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 87


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: General Vanier School (18 Lomond Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

This school in the St. Boniface School Division, located in the Windsor Park area of St. Boniface, was named for Canadian Governor-General Georges Philias Vanier (1888-1967). Built in 1962, students attended temporary classes in six unused classrooms at Beliveau School until its completion. In 1964, school capacity was expanded to 12 classrooms at a cost of $180,000 based on designs of local architect Etienne J. Gaboury. A plaque installed in June of 2000 on the south side of the school commemorates the completion of a playground project.

Principals

Period

Principal

1962-1971

Elizabeth Busch Fingas (1918-2000)

1971-1975

?

1975-1981

Ed Lefteruk

1981-?

?

?-1993

Pat D’Avignon

1993-1997

Karen Stewart

1997-?

?

?-2004

James Leslie “Jim” Hunt (1953-2006)

2004-2015

?

2015-?

LeeAnn Mytz

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Maps

General Vanier School

General Vanier School (April 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

General Vanier School

Commemorative plaque at General Vanier School (April 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.86004, W97.06247
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Pupils out on street,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 July 1962, page 1.

“Seats for pupils,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 August 1962, page 3.

“Money bylaws before suburban voters,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 September 1963, page 33.

“City of St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 October 1963, page 42.

“Tender call,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 November 1963, page 44.

“‘Little Quebec’ fears raised by parents,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 May 1971, page 3.

“General Vanier School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 November 1975, page 73.

“Firm owned by educators refunds $600,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 September 1981, page 3.

“St. Boniface School Div. No. 4,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 March 1993, page D15.

“St. Boniface School Division No. 4,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 June 1993, page D13.

“St. Boniface School Division No. 4,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 August 1997, page 70.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 8 May 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.