This small building was constructed by Frank Thomson of Austin using concrete blocks manufactured on site, incorporating a lively floral design in their outer surfaces. The building was purchased by A. E. Gardiner around 1915 and used as a harness repair shop for the next 48 years. It was later converted into the Seton Centre, a museum, art gallery, and gift shop commemorating naturalist Ernest Thompson Seton who once lived in the area. In 1995, a plaque commemorating Seton was erected next to the building by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ernest Thompson Seton Plaque (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ernest Thompson Seton Bridge (Municipality of Glenboro-South Cypress)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks
Memorable Manitobans: Franklin Arthur “Frank” Thomson (1869-1951)
The Seton Centre
A. E. Gardiner Building / Seton Centre (116 Main Street, Carberry), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Neil Christoffersen for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 October 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.