Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ford Assembly Building / Manitoba Technical Institute / Robert Fletcher Building (1181 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
This building, built in 1915 for the Ford Motor Company, received parts from the Ford manufacturing plant at Windsor, Ontario to assemble complete motor vehicles for sale across western Canada. The plant closed in late 1941. The following year, the building was purchased by the provincial government and converted into the Manitoba Technical Institute. It was later used as a textbook repository by the Department of Education, who named it in commemoration of civil servant Robert Fletcher. Its restoration was recognized with a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
Memorable Manitobans: Robert Fletcher (1873-1963)
Manitoba Organization: Red River College
Ford of Canada plant—cars and trucks were once assembled in today’s Robert Fletcher Building (part 1) by Bruce Cherney, WinnipegRealtors, 28 February 2013.
Ford of Canada plant—150 Model Ts were produced daily in company’s Portage and Wall building (part 2) by Bruce Cherney, WinnipegRealtors, 7 March 2013.
Ford of Canada plant—railway cars brought the parts that were assembled into complete vehicles (part 3) by Bruce Cherney, WinnipegRealtors, 14 March 2013.
Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant (Robert Fletcher Building), Municipally Designated Sites in Winnipeg, City of Winnipeg.
We thank Rob McInnes for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 September 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.