Designed by architect John D. Atchison, this building in Emerson was constructed between 1917 and 1918, opening in July 1918. It was the last court house built during the great settlement boom of 1880 to 1920. The two-storey structure is bordered by Church and Winnipeg streets in a mixed residential and commercial area, one block east of the town’s business sector. The site’s provincial designation applies to the structure and the two lots on which it sits.
A commemorative sign was erected beside the building by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba. In the 2000s, the facility was part of the Manitoba Prairie Icons Program.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Prairie Churches Project / Manitoba Prairie Icons Project
Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)
“Opening of Emerson’s fine new town hall,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 August 1918, page 30.
Emerson Town Hall and Court House, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, George Penner, and Tim Worth.
Page revised: 7 December 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.